Energy Star Rated Fan
It seems like we see the Energy Star logo everywhere; on light bulbs in grocery stores, appliances in big box centers — even on houses. Energy Star boasts an 85% logo-recognition rate among Americans. It is true, most of us know that an Energy Star logo means that the product uses less energy, but how many of us know what the Energy Star program actually is, or how the certification is achieved? Fewer than 85%.
Energy star is a voluntary government program administered through the US Environmental Protection Agency. Its goal is to help people and businesses save money and protect our climate through energy efficiency. Energy Star certifies products — like light bulbs, washing machines, and ventilation fans — as well as houses and buildings. The certification process is different for products than it is for buildings.
Seventy product categories comprise Energy Star's product collection. In order for one of those products, such as a vent fan, to be Energy Star certified, the product must be tested in a laboratory that is recognized by the EPA and certified by a third-party. Additionally, products are randomly tested off-the-shelf every year to make sure that manufacturing variations do not sabotage the performance.
This is a lot different from just a few years ago when Energy Star products were self-certified, and some investigative journalists got an imaginary gasoline-powered alarm clock certified.
Products must pass energy efficiency requirements including
- The ability to significantly reduce energy consumption nationwide
- They must do this without eliminating the features and performance that consumers expect -- in other words, they must be products that people actually want (there is not a lot of demand for gas-powered alarm clocks).
- Energy savings must defray the higher cost (if applicable) of the product within a 'reasonable' amount of time.
- The energy savings cannot be dependent on a 'Secret Sauce' — it must be non-proprietary technology so that other product manufacturers can take advantage of it.
- The products muse be tested in an independent lab and verified by third-party verifier.
- Labeling must be visible for consumers to see.
New houses and buildings are certified differently. Energy Star products are often incorporated in an Energy Star house, but an Energy Star house must go through a series of tests, inspections, and verifications to earn the label. There are a couple of ways to achieve the Energy Star Home label — prescriptive and performance; basically 'do it this way' or 'show me you did a good job.'
Either way, Panasonic fans are an important part of an Energy Star home. In the spirit of Energy Star's criteria that the technology be non-proprietary, Panasonic has been an industry leader for 21 years: in 1993, we set the standard for whisper-quiet ,energy efficient ventilation fans Panasonic has been recognized 6 years in a row as Energy Star Partner of the Year. In 2014, Energy Star added 'Sustained Excellence' to our title because of our perpetual leadership in the energy efficient ventilation fan area. From the Energy Star Awards announcement:
Panasonic Eco Solutions North America (PESNA) is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for building on its long-standing commitment to energy efficiency, and specifically for advancing residential ventilation through product innovation, outreach to consumers, and contractors. Key accomplishments in 2013 include:
- Maintaining a broad array of ENERGY STAR certified vent fans, with all models in applicable categories qualifying. More than 90 percent of PESNA’s sales dollars were earned from these models.
- Continuing to offer some of the most energy-efficient products on the market with a line of DC motor-driven fans, recognized as ENERGY STAR Most Efficient 2013, as well as pushing vent fan lighting to new highs of efficiency with LED fan/light options.
- Introducing the innovative WhisperValue fans, offering ENERGY STAR performance in a low-profile package (3-3/8” housing depth) that actually fits a 2x4 stud bay.
- Maintaining 100 percent training of its employees and 90 percent of distributor/retailer employees on the advantages of ENERGY STAR ventilation.
- Providing a strong showing of highly efficient products and ENERGY STAR messaging at 35 national and local trade shows.
- Sponsoring numerous whole-home-based education efforts emphasizing the potential of ventilation that results in a healthier, more energy-efficient home. PESNA designed outreach for industry and homeowners, presenting at EPCOT Center, on nationally syndicated television shows, at trade shows, and with U.S. DOE programs.
Panasonic’s Ventilation Solutions Center:
WhisperGreen Select™ gives you complete control with this customizable IAQ solution
WhisperGreen Select™ just jumped ahead of the pack in ventilation solutions. Our best fan now delivers an array of solutions for almost any application. Customizable all-in-one fan and fan-light combinations give you more than  possible configurations: multiple flow rates, plug 'n play modules, and installation flexibility means that WhisperGreen Select™ is your total solution for indoor air quality, code compliance, green certification, and healthy indoor environments. WhisperGreen Select also qualifies for the ENERGY STAR 2015 Most Efficient rating.
Choose the amount of airflow with the flip of a switch
Pick-A-Flow speed selector allows you to select the proper CFM to ventilate whatever size room you need; you can adjust up or down as needed for special situations. Two base-fan choices range from 50 CFM up to 150 CFM (50-80-110 or 110-130-150), so ventilation for almost any size room is within reach.